Sunday, September 21, 2008

Beginnings


I have finally arrived at the Bwindi Community Health Center (BCHC) guest house in Southwestern Uganda after hours of flying and navigating my way through the chaos of Uganda’s capitol, Kampala. I arrived last Tuesday night at 8 pm after 18 hours of flying, with layovers in St Paul and Amsterdam. My first impression as I walked off the plane, onto the runway, was a blast of humid 70 degree air that washed over me. Kampala is just a 45 minute drive north of Lake Victoria which is the second largest freshwater lake in the world (can you name the first, think Siberia) as well as the source of the Nile River! The lake is so large it creates its own climate of dense humid warm air. I spent three days in Kampala gathering the last minute supplies necessary to carry out a water quality assessment of drinking water sources as well as personal items that I could not carry with me.



The chaotic streets of Kampala


Kampala is a sprawling city of nearly one and a half million people with 40 story skyscrapers intermixed with the poorest of the poor shanty towns. It is the fastest growing economy of any city in Africa were you have women and men walking around in fine business attire walking by beggars sitting on the street with deformed limbs. Gridlocked traffic at all hours of the day and a maze of unmarked roads make traveling by Boda Boda (motorcycle) the only feasible way to navigate the city and forces one to reorganize their imprinted rules of “1st world” personal safety. I found navigating the markets and government offices of the capitol city to be an even greater challenge. Fortunately I was assisted by Paul Mahezi, a Ugandan, who was sent on the ten hour bus ride up from the BCHC. Dr. Scott Kellermann (see www.pygmies.net to learn more about this doctor) hired Paul to assist in the Batwa Community Projects (BCP) which is an off-shoot organization of the BCHC to improve the lives of the oft struggling Batwa Pygmies.

Paul will play the critical role of translator, procurement officer, and accountant for the water projects (not to mention keeping the Mzungu ‘aka white person’ out of trouble). I realized immediately how invaluable our partnership was going to be for the rest of the projects after the first couple of hours traveling around Kampala with him. Mzungu prices are always at least 5 times the cost that it would be for Ugandans and even by accompanying Paul to buy certain items he could not get the prices he would normally have found on his own. We spent Thursday day alone trying to figure out all of the necessary documents needed to obtain a year long work permit for myself. This entailed bus or boda boda rides as well as several miles of walking on foot to visit the internal affairs office for the application, Interpol to get a criminal report, the police academy to get the fingerprints for the criminal report, the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau to get a cover letter…and so on. By 5 pm I was absolutely spent due to traveling in the heat and humidity, jet lag, and just the outright tedium of obtaining all of the necessary information to avoid costly return trips to Kampala.

Finally by Friday I was resigned to the fact that I would need a return trip to Kampala to complete the work permit and buy the rest of my supplies, so Paul and I decided to leave for Bwindi early Saturday morning. At 5 am we loaded all of my supplies onto the bus which was a large traveling pack, a large duffel bag, a bacterial water test kit, two large cardboard boxes, and my daypack. Among the items purchased in Kampala I had a two burner gas stove, gravity fed water filter, teapot, cooking pot, pressure cooker (for sterilizing the testing kit equiptment), a baby scale for the hospital, a heavy marble plaque for the hospital with the Bishops name on it, batteries, coffee not to mention all of the gear I brought from the states. It reminds me of the second chapter in the Barbara Kingsolver book the Poisonwood Bible, “The Things We Carried.” I felt like the family in that book bringing all of my stuff to a place where it may or may not have use. Over time I will most assuredly find out! The bus ride is an exhausting ten hour trip from smooth tarmac, to bone jarring potholed pavement, to a less punishing but incredibly dusty dirt road. Road weary and crusted in dust Paul and I reached the BCHC guest house under a tropical afternoon downpour. The guest house was just as I remembered when I first visited in April of 2006 (see the below photo). I received a warm welcome by Dr. Kellermann, Stephen “Blackie” Gonsolvez who works on the BCP, two med student from Denmark Karen and Nadia, Dir the hospital IT manager, as well as hospital administrators Richard and Levi. We had a traditional Batwa pygmie dinner of pasta with Bolognese sauce and soon after I was ready for bed.

I woke this morning to 15 different bird calls (I lost count at that point) and red-tailed monkeys racing along the roof of the guest house. Today is Sunday which is the slowest day of the week because everyone is at church. This is generally the day off for the staff of the hospital as well as everyone working at the guesthouse. This will most likely be my blog day. It feels great to be here and great to finally be on the ground working out the beginnings of the water projects. Next post I’m sure I will have more news on the assessment and preliminary phases of the project. I would just like to thank everyone who has supported me in this venture I hopefully I can interact with you through the blog. Special thanks to the Nevada City Rotary for writing the grant and to Rotact of Nevada County for the amazing support and fundraising for the projects. I look forward to hearing from you all. Until next time…Cheers!

15 comments:

marilyn said...

Very good to hear you arrived safely, Sol! We can't wait to hear more details of your unfolding journey. Please say hello to Dr. Kellerman. You're all in our thoughts and hearts. Keep on writing! Much love,
Marilyn & Tony

Unknown said...

Hi Sol,
Thanks for including me in your blog. Yesterday I watched the DVD, The Last King of Scotland. I don't recall what the political climate is now in Uganda. I look forward to your updates.
Blessings,
Margery

molly jochem said...

YAY!!! You made it!!! and Yay for Paul- taking care of my brother! and yay for a heavy marble plaque from the bishop?
It is so good to hear your (excellent) writing voice!
I love you-
molly!

Unknown said...

I read your great posting this Sunday morning from our "cabin" on Deer Creek where you last visited me. Memories of you here and fondness for Africa dance around in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing! You enrich us all. I plan to go look into hot water heaters today because Fall is fast approaching and showering outside is less and less practicle. Yesterday was the Yuba River Clean up and we took 90 tires off our site. It was followed by a great party at Pioneer Park that you would have loved. We miss you a lot at work already- you are iraplacable and loved in so many ways. Keep on trucking and posting! Carrie

Dave K said...

I'm glad to hear you made it over there safely and without TOO many problems. The blog looks great! Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us updated. Good luck with the project and take care!

Unknown said...

SOL!! I'm so happy to read your post and know that you are safely in your new home. I enjoyed the description of your adventures; keep up the writing. Much love.

rosielynch said...

I'm so happy to hear you made it to your destination safely! What a different world. We really miss you and I can't wait to hear more of your adventures. It really makes our world here seem so tame and provincial.

Unknown said...

limited on what you could carry and you packed a pink shirt... hmmm....

Kelly Janes said...

Yay, you made it! we already miss you in NC. Wish I'd been able to say good bye in person. Hope your face is back to normal. Can't wait to hear more!

Ken and Joanne said...

I am looking forward to your adventures and misadventures.

Ken

Unknown said...

Sol,
So glad to hear that you made it to Uganda safely. I'm looking forward to hearing (reading I guess) about your adventures on your blog.

Take care! ~ Dahl

Anonymous said...

rock on!

Zia Michy said...

Pretty awesome, Sol. Now I have a new book to check out and a fun adventure to tune into weekly. Be safe out there and keep 'em coming! Say hello to Dr. K for me. -Michelle

Unknown said...

Sol,
Thanks for including me in your blog! I laughed out loud at the Poisonwood Bible image of you with all your precious belongings loaded onto the bus. I can't wait to hear more!
-Jill

Daniel Carlson said...

Dear Sol,
My name is Daniel Carlson, and I could not be more excited about the project you are leading in Uganda. I am currently in my second year at the University of California, Santa Barbara. I am an Environmental Studies major, but doing my best at a non-ag school to focus on agriculture and everything that surrounds it.
I have been so interested in Africa since I was a young kid, and it only intensified when I came to college. I have learned so much, and have found a passion for agriculture, sustainability, and Africa. I have been planning on studying abroad in Africa since the get go. However, new developments have happened in my life, and it looks as if I will not be able to continue on with my University studies next year.
I am not sad about this, but rather am taking it as an opportunity to do something great. With all this news buzzing around, my Mom, who is a principal at an elementary school (and devoted Rotary member), had a conversation with my old, but very dear, teacher Suzanne Wehausen. She has been an inspiration to me since fourth grade, and is the one who told me about you and what you are doing.
I respect your project so much. What you are doing is amazing, and very admirable. I am writing you because I would love to hear more about what you are doing. Though I will not be able to continue my formal education next year, it that does not mean I plan to stop learning. I have a sincere interest in offering anything and everything I have to the people of Africa. I can't even put words to the feeling I have of wanting to serve. So, I want to connect with you, and see where the project needs help, take any advice for a first timer to Africa, and receive any direction on my hunt to find a long term volunteer position is Africa.
Thank you so much, and I wish you the best of luck.
Can't wait to hear back from you.
Daniel Carlson
dcarlson707@yahoo.com